Human resource management is about the managerial and leadership processes, which enable people to give of their best in today’s turbulent working scenarios. To that end, the syllabus content is less concerned with the academic study of human and organizational behavior, but concentrates more on the development of effective, pragmatic, yet innovative solutions to the issues surrounding the need to maximize people’s productivity, efficiency and effectiveness.
To develop the student’s knowledge and understanding of:
• Individual differences, especially in such fields as learning, personality, motivation and attitudes, with particular reference to the relevance of such differences for recruitment, selection, deployment, development, and employee performance in an organizational setting.
• The changing nature of the ‘psychological contract’ between organizations and their employees, together with the implications for employability, flexible working, commitment, and managerial leadership.
• Each major dimension of human resource management in practice, i.e., human resource planning, recruitment, selection, induction, training/development, reward systems, and people review/appraisal.
• Techniques for effective communication in all work-related situations, i.e., with subordinates and with seniors, through collective representational procedures, and with teams.
Course Learning Outcomes
• Introduction to HRM: What is HRM? Why HRM is important? Human resource functions, Human resource department, Meeting present human resource requirements
• Job analysis: Job Description, Job Specification, Methods and Problems of Job Analysis, Job Design, its scope & depth, Sociotechnical approach to Job design, the physical work environment, Alternative work schedules.
• Human Resource Planning: How HRP relates to Organizational planning, Steps in HRP process, Tools & techniques of HRP
• Recruitment & Selection: Recruitment, Personnel requisition form, Sources of qualified personnel, effectiveness of recruitment methods, Realistic job previews, Organizational inducements in recruitment, Equal employment opportunity. The Selection process, Selection tests, Validation of Selection procedures, Reliability, Uniform guidelines on employee selection procedures.
• Orientation & Employee Training: Orientation, Training employees, Methods of training, Evaluating training, Principles of learning
• Management and organizational development: Management development process, determining net management requirements, establishing management development objectives, methods used in management development, organizational development.
• Career Development: Importance of career development, Career growth, Implementing career development, Career self-management and career counseling.
• Performance Management Systems: Understanding performance, Performance management, definition & uses of performance appraisal, Performance appraisal methods, Errors & ways to overcome errors in performance appraisals
• Compensation Management: Defining the system of compensation, Selection of rewards, Relating rewards to performance, Job satisfaction & rewards, Employee compensation, The Role of manger in reward system.
• Traditional & New incentives pay systems: Objectives, conventional job evaluation, pricing the job, new approaches to the base wage/salary structure, individual incentives, and group incentives.
• Collective Bargaining: Labour relations, Labour relations framework, Goals & strategies, Labor unions, Labor union structure, membership, Union and management integration
Introduction to HRM
Job Analysis Part I
Job Analysis Part II
Job Analysis Part III
Human Resource Planning
Selecting Employees Part I
Selecting Employees Part II
Selecting Employees Part III
Orientation & Employee Training
Performance Management System Part I
Performance Management System part II
Organizational Reward System
Book Title : Human Resource Management (HRM)
Author : Lioyd L. Byars & Leslie W.Rue
Edition : Latest
Publisher : McGraw-Hill/Irwin
Book Title : Managing Human Resources (Latest edition)
Author : Luis R. Gomez Mejia, David B. Balkin, Robert L. Cardy
Edition : Latest
Publisher : Pearson Education, Prentice Hall
Book Title : Human Resource Management
Author : Gary Dessler
Edition : Latest
Publisher : Pearson/Prentice Hall