1. Key Concepts of Gender
Definition of Gender
Difference between Gender and Sex
Gender Equity and Equality
Strategic Gender Needs
2. Introduction to Gender and Development
Concept and Definition of Development
Women in Development
Gender and Development
WID and GAD: A Comparative Analysis
Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
3. Feminism and its theories
Concept of Feminism
4. Gender Issues of Pakistani Culture
Gender and Education
Gender and Health
Gender and Economic Development
Gender and Politics
Gender and Violence
5. Gender and Development in Pakistan
Gender Reform Action Plan (GRAP)
National Program of Action
Government Policy and Planning for Gender and Development
Role of NGOs in Gender and Development
6. Concept of Gender in Islam
Gender Roles in Islam
Rights of Women in Islam
Discrimination on the bases of Gender in any field of life, not only violates the right of one, but also responsible for collective social and economic development stagnation. In our society women are most vulnerable than men in health, education and job facilities. They are far from the right of decision making and economic independence. If we measure “Development” in terms of quality life for everyone then we need to improve services for women.
This course will provide the students, the knowledge of basic rights and problems of women and what measures can be taken to solve these problems in order to meet development standards. Students will also study that how media can play a vital role in creating awareness among community about women issues.
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course students will be able to:-
1. Explain the concept of women welfare and how different women movements effected women development in history.
2. Understand women issues and how these issues effecting women and society overall.
3. Understand that women need to be encouraged for their personal and professional development in order to achieve economic empowerment and participation in decision making.
4. Analyze the role of Government and voluntary agencies that how these agencies can improve the economic, social and educational capacities of women.
5. Understand the role of Social Worker in solving women’s problems and in sensitizing community about women issues.
6. Initiate the debate on empowering women and discuss the development opportunities and challenges.
Book Title : Key Concepts in Gender Studies
Author : Jane Pilcher Imelda Whelehan
Publisher : Sage
Book Title : Gender and Development
Author : Janet Henshall Momsen
Publisher : Routledge
Book Title : Feminist theories and social work: Approaches and applications
Author : Christine Flynn Saulnier
Edition : 7th
Publisher : Routledge